Cong. Josephine Sato of the Lone District of Occidental Mindoro reaped a bit of the fruits of her hard labor to find solution for the Province’s truckers and environment with two successful meetings in one day, March 10.
Tiger Lady Josephine Sato was in the right place to have talked with Department of Transportation Secretary Art Tugade who assured her that an Administrative Order will soon be issued on the month of May which will benefit Occidental Mindoro truckers.
FROM THE INSIDE:
- Excess truckloads weight banned, Oksi appeals
- Cong. Sato’s approved HB 266 sparks establishment of watershed reservations in Oksi, OrMin
- Cong. Josephine Ramirez Sato’s 6-year legislative life
- Ano ang HB 267 Final Forestland Boundary para sa Oksi?
Months ago, cargo trucks lined up at the entrance of Abra de Ilog Port after being denied entry and to go on board maritime vessels due to loads exceeding their capacity weight in compliance with PPA Administrative Order No. 05-2019 or the “Non-Imposition of Weighing Fee for Domestic Outbound Laden Containers and RO-RO Cargo Amending PPA Adminstrative Order (AO) No. 06-211 issued by Philippine Ports Authority (PPA) General Manager Atty. Jay Daniel Santiago.
Since then, Cong. Nene Sato worked relentlessly to present Occidental Mindoro truckers’ concern with different national government agencies including DOTr and PPA.
The implementation of AO No. 05-2019 was temporarily lifted as parties involved work on more viable solution.
And this time, Cong. Nene Sato is seeing some light at the end of the tunnel with Sec. Tugade’s announcement.
IN THE NEWS:
- Truck weight limits in the Philippines
- Trucks, trailers given until Dec 31 to comply with weight limits
- DPWH open to new extension of anti-overloading moratorium
Said Administrative Ordered that is expected to be issued on May will involve the use of PPA facility and the construction of a “One-Stop-Shop” for National Vehicle Inspection Center (NVIC) in Occidental Mindoro.
On February 10, Cong. Sato met with PPA General Manager Jay Santiago together with Maritime Industry Authority (MARINA) and Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) officials to sort out things concerning truck load limits. Also present were Romblon Rep. Budoy Madron and AGAP Partylist Rep. Rico Geron.
As Cong. Sato’s Facebook page post, said meeting yielded the following target solutions:
- Ang DOTr ay magbubuo ng Technical Working Group (TWG) mula sa mga pinuno ng DOTr, PPA, MARINA, LTO, LTFRB at Coast Guard upang masusing pag-aralan ang PPA A.O. No. 02-2012 at PPA A.O. No. 05-2019 kaugnay sa pinapayagang timbang ng mga trucks at cargoes na sasakay ng RORO.
- Nilinaw ni Sec. Tugade na kailangang maayos na mabigyan ng suporta ang mga maliliit na agricultural producers, lalo na sa mga island provinces gaya ng OkSi, para sa access at priority sa RORO. Ito ay mahalaga sa paglago ng agricultural sector at lokal na ekonomiya.
- Ang TWG ay kagyat na mag-pupulong ngayon Linggo. Ang mga kinatawan ng truckers association ay aanyayahan sa pulong na ito.
Another meeting was held on February 14 at Cong. Sato’s office in the House Representatives with representatives from Occidental Mindoro, Oriental Mindoro, Romblon and Benguet truckers, PPA, MARINA, LTO, LTFRB, DPWH and Batangas Port in attendance. The attendees resolved to work on the following:
- Pagkilala na ang mga polisiyang ukol sa GVW ay malaki ang epekto sa lokal na ekonomiya, lalo’t higit sa mga “small island provinces” gaya ng OkSi.
- Gamiting batayan ang nakasaad sa batas- RA 8794, “An Act Imposing A Motor Vehicle User’s Charge on Owners of All Types of Motor Vehicles” sa pagtakda ng GVW. Ibig sabihin nito ang mga 10-wheeler trucks na karamihang nagbibiyahe sa OkSi ay maaaring sumakay sa roro sa timbang (GVW) na hindi hihigit sa 33.3 tons.
- Mananatiling walang bayad ang pagtimba
Hell bent in making the most of the day, Cong. Nene Sato then met with Deputy Speaker LRay Villafuerte along with Department Of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) Usec. Mitch Cuna, Usec Jonas Leones, Biodiversity Management Bureau (BMB) Director Assistant Secretary Ric Calderon, and DENR – BMB officials.
Their meeting focused on filling the shortage on fund needed for the implementation of protected areas and biodiversity conservation projects that will cover Mts. Iglit – Baco, Mt. Calavite and Apo Reef.
The needed funds will be sourced out of 2021 budget.
DENR will also issue an Administrative Order for Tamaraw conservation on Occidental Mindoro.